[Thunar-dev] Thunar Extension Framework

Erik Harrison erikharrison at xfce.org
Sun Sep 11 20:15:17 CEST 2005

On 9/11/05, Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
> Emil Jacobs wrote:
> > Hey all
> > A short question about usability: will the plugin install method be
> > similar to that of firefox's?
> > With a checker on the background that checks for updates and so on?
> > I think this would be a nice step forwards, but I don't know if this
> > is the plan or has been suggested before, sorry if it did :)
>
> Well, currently extensions cannot be installed in a per-user directory.
> That could be changed.

I would certainly like to see this. I'm probably going to install a
couple of extensions which my wife isn't going to want to use.

> Right now I don't see the need to implement such a feature in Thunar.
> Xfce 4.4 will include a much improved InstallIt, which will be able to
> do this (and much more), so why duplicate the functionality in the file
> manager?

I don't see how InstallIt will solve this problem if Thunar doesn't
know to check for extensions in $HOME?

If you just mean the updater functionality, that I agree can and
should stay in i2t.

> > Cheers
> > Emil
>
> Benedikt

"This brings me back to a time where I had no worries.
All I needed to do was watch Perfect Strangers."
-Erik