[Thunar-dev] Fallback website

Jeff Franks jcfranks at tpg.com.au
Fri Sep 9 12:59:36 CEST 2005

Jannis Pohlmann wrote:

> [snip]
>
>>I'm just about finished the new layout pages using NO TABLES. I'm trying
>>to choose the minimum web page width to minimize ugly overlap of page
>>elements when the browser window is narrowed. Just out of curiosity why
>>does the page have to fit into an 890x670 firefox window?  To set one
>>mimimum width across all elements I have placed the entire <body>
>>container to 890px will that be about right?
>>

>Don't use fixed sizes (px). It's almost as ugly as tables layouts.
>Instead, try using % and em.

Jannis,

I have used the same layout and elements as before but entriely in a CSS
file. The problem I have is this. The navigational sidebar is on the
right side of the page and set to 20%. It contains some links. Benedikt
doesn't like the links to wrap when the browser window is narrowed. If
the links wrap there is no problem. If the sidebar's white-space is set
to nowrap, the links don't wrap but this creates an alignment/painting
problem. As the window in narrowed the page's elements decrease in width
because they are set to: main area 80% and sidebar 20%, but the links
don't wrap so they extend off the far right hand side of the sidebar
exposing a different colored background, which just happens to be white.
The right hand side of the page has 3 different colors that are the
colors of the header and footer, the top navagational bar and the
sidebar. So I can't just fudge it by picking one color. If I put the
entire body in a container element and set the minimum width to 890 the
page still looks good because the horizontal scrollbar appears before
the sidebar links poke out off the right hand edge of the page exposing
the background color.

What to do?
Jeff.