[Thunar-dev] Website draft - (X)HTML Standards

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Fri Sep 2 21:08:11 CEST 2005

Hey all,

I just read Benny's weblog and noticed there's kind of a final draft for
the Thunar website now. Since I've been creating websites for about six
or seven years I noticed some things which are, putting it mildly, not
acceptable concerning (X)HTML standards. These are:

1. Don't use <blockquote/> for things which don't have to do with
   quotations (like paragraphs or groups of elements). That's what they
   are made for and *not* for indenting paragraphs of text.

 1.1 Use <p/> for text paragraphs. Maybe add a class attribute for
     indenting here, like <p class="block"/> or something. Do not use

 1.2 Use <div/> for nothing else than grouping other (X)HTML elements.

 1.3 Use <ul/> or <ol/> for listings like the different versions of
     Thunar available for download.

2. You probably won't need <div id="header2"></div>. Replace it with a
   smarter solution - there certainly is one, like moving the background
   image into div#header or even h1. Empty elements like this don't make
   sense.

3. Don't use "align='center'". Use CSS (text-align:center) here.

4. Don't use "target='_blank'". If people click on a link you have to
   expect that they want to replace the Thunar website with the new one.

5. Don't use <div/> if it only contains *one* element. Instead, apply
   CSS for the only child and remove the <div/> - it's possible, believe
   me.

Of course, I know it's just a draft. Anyway, I thought this might be
helpful.

That's it for now. If there are any questions left, feel free to ask
them. If you need help in cleaning up or adjust the draft for better
support of the W3C standards, please let me know. We'd certainly find a
solution.

Kind regards,
Jannis