[Thunar-dev] The Thunar Path

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed Nov 16 19:58:56 CET 2005

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Unfortunately, the key table says basically nothing about how actions
> work, or what their purpose is (and the registering MIME types section
> still doesn't).  The example doesn't even have an "Actions" key.

Ehm, right. Never noticed that the Actions key is missing from the
example. It should contain

Actions=Inverse;Edit;

for the example to work.

> I also don't see where it says anything about creating new groups for
> each action.  Indeed, in the section about extending the format, it
> specifically says that extra groups in the file should have the form
> "[X-PRODUCT GROUPNAME]", which the example doesn't do.

The group for every action is "[Desktop Action <Name>]" where <Name> is
one of the actions listed with the "Actions" key in the "[Desktop
Entry]" group.

> 1) Do I create a new group in the file for each action?

Yep.

> 2) Do the names of these new groups have to start with "Desktop Action"?

Yep.

> 3) If #2 is yes, what do I put in the "Actions" key?  The full title of
> each group, or just the part after "Desktop Action"?

Only the name of the action without the "Desktop Action " prefix.

> 4) If I were just reading the spec, and we weren't talking about this in
> a file manager context, and Benny didn't just give an example of how
> they're used, I'd be asking "WTF is an action, and what are they for?"
> Someone needs to LART the authors of this spec.

Go ahead. ;-)