[Thunar-dev] Problems building new Thunar snapshot

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed Nov 9 23:30:28 CET 2005

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>>>I was wondering how you were able to build libexo, because it also uses
>>>G_INLINE_FUNC. Nevertheless, its outdated.
>
> Didn't we talk about G_INLINE_FUNC a loooong time ago about my use of it
> in Xfce and decide that we shouldn't do it?  At any rate, it would have
> worked ok with glib 2.2 (or maybe 2.4, don't remember), but glib 2.4 (or
> 2.6) changed how G_INLINE_FUNC is defined, and broke a lot of things.  I
> filed a bug on gnome bugzilla about it, but they basically said "you
> shouldn't be using G_INLINE_FUNC for stuff like that".  I think I asked
> what it was for, then, but I didn't get much of an answer.

It works with 2.4 and below, and broke with 2.6.0. This was fixed with
2.6.4, see:

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/glib/glib/gutils.h?rev=1.30.2.1&view=markup

> So, yeah... don't use G_INLINE_FUNC.  The fact that its behavior is
> different between glib versions is more than enough to make using it
> undesirable.

The way it was used in Xfce was wrong (it was used as a replacement for
"static inline", which it isn't, and there's actually no absolute need
to declare a "static" function as "inline" either, as modern compilers
will automatically inline small "static" functions where appropriate).
G_INLINE_FUNC is used to provide inline versions of library functions,
while still providing an implementation of the function within the library.