[Thunar-dev] Help needed?

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Mon May 30 22:16:17 CEST 2005

Emil Jacobs wrote:

> On 5/30/05, Auke Kok <sofar at lunar-linux.org> wrote:
>
>> Emil Jacobs wrote:
>>
>>> To everyone else aswell: Is someone willing to take the lead here, so
>>> that we can get the ball rolling again?
>>>

>> I have to run right now but I'll try to explain the situation and the
>> possibilities soon. There are some things we need to think about.
>>
>> so YES, we *can* get the ball rolling again, but with important
>> restrictions.
>>
> Well, benny just completely eradicated your point, it seems he wants
> to quit with it: http://xfce-diary.blogspot.com/2005/05/break.html
> So, how to pick up from here?

you're missing part of the story here. This is why I said I would elaborate.

Benedikt has told us before that he would like to keep 'thunar' as his
own project and go anywhere where he wants to take it, and at his own
pace. He might even take it outside of Xfce completely, and as such we
have a dilemma.

Basically we can pick up thunar's design sketches as they stand right
now and fork() the project to start working on it as we see fit. The
request from Benedikt to put this new product under a different name
still stands.

As such we have two options:

(1) Follow Benedikt where he is going and be confident that his 'thunar'
will integrate or operate well within Xfce4

(2) Fork thunar into something new and make sure ourselves that ... see
above.

As wel currently lack C programmers with a good perspective on design
this is a really big problem. Definately a dilemma I would say.

so... There it is.

sofar