[Thunar-dev] Name suggestion

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Mar 30 21:25:28 CEST 2005

Adam Scheinberg wrote:

>With almost 1500 votes in, the current name leaders are:
>
>Thunar, Pathfinder, File Manager, Digger, and Cabinet.  In that order.
>
>So the Thunar/File Manager looks at first glance like a good idea.  I,
>however, am not entirely crazy about it.  Remember, OSNews (and
>CERTAINLY any dev list) is made up of people with an active interest
>in computers.  Let's think about the target audience of these
>applications, and decide - are you marketing to geeks or common users?
> Thunar is a cool name, but does sound kind of cartoony, and while
>you're still fighting for credibility (and even for distros to include
>your program by default), I think there's something to choosing
>something that sounds professional.  Maybe it's just me.

I don't think it's necessary to worry so much about how the name will
look to an unexperienced user.  It's trivial to make the full app name
in the .desktop file "Thunar File Manager", or, probably better, make
use of the GenericName property to clearly indicate that it's a file
manager.  I think we should look to come up with something unique that
actually means something, even if it isn't immediately obviously a file
manager by the name.  Thunar easily already fits the bill.

    -brian