[Thunar-dev] Thunar Architecture (relations)

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 19:38:37 CEST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:24:49 +0200, Benedikt Meurer
<benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
> abo wrote:
> >>Hm, personally I agree with botsie's earlier posts, that we should not
> >>put special flags (like sticky, suid, sgid, xattrs, ...) into the UI, as
> >>99.99% of all users will never want to touch it,
> >
> > i disagree. one of the most expected features of 2.6 kernel branch was
> > acls, and its use is growing quickly even in home desktops. i found an
> > advanced permissions tab pretty usefull.
>
> Who expected this feature? Who needs this feature? How many real users
> do you have on your home machine? 5? 10? Does the average user care for
> it? Or is it a geek toy (to be serious, most geeks won't need that
> feature either, or will atleast be able to figure that they'll have to
> execute chflags and friends)?

Honestly, I think it's pretty necessary. If I look at the properties
on a file, I want to see the properties of the file, dammit. I don't
want to see some limited subset of the file properties.

The world is larger than Linux and BSD - if I'm working with a bunch
of files on Irix, I need to see the extended metadata - it's critical
to operations of Irix, which is why it's core functionality on XFS.

A simple Key:Value viewer/editor for the properties dialog means that
Thunar will already be there in six months when .desktop files or
whatever system gets collapsed into file metadata (a pretty strong
desire in the community).

Of course, while I think this is a pretty solid *need*, it may not be
for 1.0 . . .

> Ask yourself, how often would you need it (need != toying around with no
> real use case)? Note, that Thunar is not a system administration
> utility, but a simple file manager.
>
> > regards
> > abo
>
> greets,
> Benedikt

CAPS LOCK: ITS LIKE THE CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME
-Erik