[Thunar-dev] Thunar Architecture (relations)

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Tue Mar 29 17:36:02 CEST 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> abo wrote:
>
>>> Hm, personally I agree with botsie's earlier posts, that we should
>>> not put special flags (like sticky, suid, sgid, xattrs, ...) into
>>> the UI, as 99.99% of all users will never want to touch it,
>>

>> i disagree. one of the most expected features of 2.6 kernel branch was
>> acls, and its use is growing quickly even in home desktops. i found an
>> advanced permissions tab pretty usefull.
>

> Who expected this feature? Who needs this feature? How many real users
> do you have on your home machine? 5? 10? Does the average user care
> for it? Or is it a geek toy (to be serious, most geeks won't need that
> feature either, or will atleast be able to figure that they'll have to
> execute chflags and friends)?
>
> Ask yourself, how often would you need it (need != toying around with
> no real use case)? Note, that Thunar is not a system administration
> utility, but a simple file manager.

Alternatively, I suggest that this is really plugin material (overload
the properties dialog window with another tab) and:

1) will be usefull to some people
2) will be easy to implement as a plugin

also, allowing in the future plugins to add tabs to the file properties
dialog might do fun stuff like:

- previewing contents
- viewing metadata
- viewing a picture of benny
- etc

I would suggest to keep this 'feature' in mind for later.

sofar