[Thunar-dev] Name suggestion

Foxtrot simsalabimladen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 16:07:05 CEST 2005

Brief summary:

The ideas we've had so far are:
Alexander
Canary
Chairman
Chronicler
Conductor
(File) Digger
File Keeper
Handler
Kingpin
Nomad
Pathfinder
Rover
Scout
Skipper
Swashbuckler
Vagabond
(Xf-)Ray

Suggestions:
-Distinguish from other file managers.
-No Xf-<whatever> names. :-)
-Use understandable English.
-Preferably something that can be represented effectively as an icon.
-Don't sound cheap.
-Sound good.
-The name should be at least somewhat descriptive (or have a 'deeper
meaning' of some sort).
-Should be easy to remember.

I think it's also important to do thorough checks to ensure that the
names we choose aren't already taken. Firefox, as an example went
through two name changes because the two former names (Phoenix and
Firebird). Then, of course, it turned out that the domain firefox.com
was already taken, but I don't think we need to worry about that.

Here are some names of some more file managers for inspiration
(copy/pasted off wikipedia):

    * Ac Browser Plus (multi-panel navigation)
    * Directory Opus (tree, single/dual-panel navigation, extremely
configurable)
    * DOSShell
    * FAR Manager (dual-panel navigation, text-based)
    * FileMatrix (multi-column navigation)
    * Finder
    * Konqueror
    * Magellan Explorer (dual-panel navigation)
    * Midnight Commander
    * Nautilus
    * Norton Commander (dual-panel navigation, father of OFM)
    * PathMinder (integrated text editor)
    * ROX-Filer
    * Servant Salamander (dual-panel navigation)
    * Total Commander (dual-panel navigation)
    * VFU File Manager
    * ViewMAX
    * Volkov Commander
    * Windows Explorer (tree, single-panel navigation)
    * XTree

--
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad move."