[Thunar-dev] Name suggestion

Adam Scheinberg ascheinberg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 05:00:53 CEST 2005

Interesting.  I like Chronicler, although it does feel like a mouthful.

I think that basic names are generally good.  Let's review what's out
there right now trying to be professional:

Windows -> Explorer
MacOS -> Finder
BeOS -> Tracker
SkyOS -> Viewer
Gnome -> Nautilus
KDE -> Konqueror
QNX -> Photon
Norton -> Commander

Those are all fairly straight forward (with the exception of Gnome and
KDE, of course).  On that front, if you wanted to keep with "very
specific function" naming theory, like the first 4, some names I like
are Digger, Handler, File Keeper, and Peeker.  Basic, but descriptive.

The FM is essentially a window into your file organization, so people
identify with "browsing" or "finding" files.  So I looked up
"organizer," "manager," and a few others into a thesaurus.
Interesting that Finder, Viewer, and Tracker had no apparent useful
synonyms.  Here are some results I liked that I could find: Kingpin,
Chairman, Skipper, Conductor.  All convey "management" and/or power of
some sort.

Then you can go the explorer route.  Terms that indicate "exploring"
and "wandering" include: Nomad, Swashbuckler, Rover, Scout, Vagabond.
Strange that none of these really appeal to me, when Explorer is the
most used FM out there.

I think it's a mistake to use a nonsensical or cutesy name, because
XFCE, especially with HP bundling it with thin clients, is definitely
moving into professional and more widespread acceptance.  A name that
alludes to something meanigful has benefits paid in credibility.
Thunar, which as best as I can tell has some mythological roots, is
not so bad itself.

Something that is understandable English, in *my* mind, seems to
suggest something on a grander scale than XFFM ever could've been.  No
non-geek would ever refer to XFFM.  That's why real commercial
products aren't just letters.  (Yes, I know this isn't a commercial
product, but it does have to "sell," if only to the XFCE community as
a viable FM/application.)  I would not expect to hear someone telling
a co-worker "Click the second icon on the panel across the bottom and
that will launch ________" where ______ is XFFM.  I can, however, hear
that sentence with "the File Digger" or just "Digger."  Or maybe
that's just because I use the dig command a lot.

Just sharing a few thoughts...

Adam