[Thunar-dev] * ala firefox

Joel Jansson biitar at home.se
Fri Mar 25 13:33:06 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> Joel Jansson wrote:
>
>> Hejsan!
>>
>> I've been thinking on userinterfaces and began to wonder why
>> filmanagers usually have that sidebar and for me, this is a way to
>> get fast access to another directory.
>>
>> Well, I thought about the idea of having a userinterface where the
>> catalogtree is shown in either a meny or by pressing a button on, or
>> pressing the the mouse.
>>
>> This would give you a big singel area for your file list and a fast
>> way to change dirs. It could also create a small userinterface
>> containing something like four buttons and a "Here you
>> are"-panel(what is it called?).
>>
>> The buttons could be back, home(to be pressed for a meny), up and
>> forward.
>>
>> Ok, this interface has it's drawbacks but it could work  ... but my
>> guess is that it wont be add to thunar ;) ...
>

> Hm, I'm not sure if I understand your point.

Well, this has already suggested by others(more or less). It was really
all about having the catalog tree available  with a drop down menu
instead of being displayed on the sidebar.

The main window looking like the "ROX-like" interface on the wiki, but
with a entry widget for the path. When you press (for example) the
tree-button, a menu appears with the file system.

There might be some drawbacks(I feel that it could be hard to get used
too if your have experience with sidebar-tree view) and I have heard it
already exist in some other file-managers, but it sounds like it could
be something to explore.

This is more or less the best way I can explain it, my English grammar
is a bit of, so I have some trouble with how to build the sentences.

/Joel