[Thunar-dev] actions menu

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Tue Mar 22 10:57:20 CET 2005

abo wrote:

>El mar, 22-03-2005 a las 10:46 +0100, Auke Kok escribió:
>

>>abo wrote:

>>>that's because the dificult to implement or the scope of the feature?
>>>

>>The main goal is to develop a lightweight, stable and minimalistic file
>>manager. Enhancements for 1.0 certainly do not include plugins. Although
>>we will consider a plugin system for the future, it is completely out of
>>scope for 1.0. In all honesty we really want to set the base first, then
>>afterwards we will see what will fit the goal or not.
>>

>sorry, my question was not clear enough. why do you think actions menu
>is only possible with plugins and not just a (selectable) feature?

It (IMO) not make sense to program this straight into the interface,
since the demands of the user vary incredibly, and some people will
never be satisfied with an actions menu that 'just untars a tarball'.

(IYOL: it's definately possible but we don't want it, I never said that
it wasn't possible either)

It would make much more sense to:

1) focus on the basic design first
2) implement a stable file manager

and later, when we know how this works out:

3) implement a plugin system

Putting every riffraff in the base code makes no sense, we're not
recreating konqueror or nautilus!

sofar