[Thunar-dev] Location Bar ala Firefox

Jeff Franks jcfranks at tpg.com.au
Sun Mar 20 02:41:55 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> Brian wrote:
> [snip]
> Hm, how about one of these?
>
> http://www.xfce.org/~benny/tmp/20050319-thunar_go1.png
> http://www.xfce.org/~benny/tmp/20050319-thunar_go2.png
>
> Because having both the close and the go button in front of the entry
> widget looks really odd to me.

I'm sorry, but I really have to asked this. You are trying to design an
a simple and easy to use file manager with a clean GUI. Why are you even
considering a design with duplicate GUI functionality? You leave out the
toolbar, a very basic and essential GUI widget that users expect to be
able to use to access frequently used functions, and you add location
buttons and a path bar. Although they work differently, the location
buttons and path bar essentially provide the same function. One or the
other would be better.

If its worth anything, I prefer the path bar, but not at the bottom.
It's position should optional. One annoying thing about Firefox is the
search bar poping up at the bottom of the window. Like many users I use
tend to use my mouse rather than keyboard shortcuts. I click on the find
menu item at the top of a maximized Firefox window and then have to move
my mouse all the way down to the bottom left hand corner of the window
to enter the search text. It's a long way to travel on a large monitor
and gets rather annoying after a while. I think having the path bar
fixed at the bottom would not be a good idea.

Jeff.