[Thunar-dev] Location Bar ala Firefox

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Mar 18 22:19:27 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> Jari Rahkonen wrote:
>
>>  The only thing
>> I'd like to change about the mockup is the size of the icons in
>> icon view. I'd prefer something closer to the default size of
>> icons in windows explorer or the 'large' icons in rox. This is
>> of course just a matter of taste and hasn't got much to do with
>> the location bar...
>
> Hm, large icons in ROX are 64x64 IIRC, while the icon size in the
> thunar mockup is currently 48x48. I think we should support up to 3
> different icon sizes in Thunar, maybe 22x22 (with the name besides the
> icon), 48x48 and 64x64.

While we're talking about icon sizes...  The last time I looked at the
mockup, the treeview icons were a bit too large.  I think I dropped them
to 16x16 and it looked a lot better - basically, my opinion is that the
icons should be small enough that the vertical spacing between rows of
text shouldn't expand from what you'd have if you just had rows of
text.  At the smaller sizes, the icons become less useful, of course,
but I think (for the treeview anyway) the icons themselves aren't all
that useful, since 99+% of them will just be the same folder icon.

Actually...  With regard for the smallest icon size in the icon view:
would you consider implementing something like what I did for the
desktop menu?  Basically it queries Pango for the max character height
based on the default font and font size, and then picks the closest
standard icon size that fits in that height.  I think it needs a little
bit of a fudge factor, and my implementation is a little off sometimes,
but it can probably be done properly with a little (more) thought (than
I put into it).

For the larger icon sizes in the "traditional" icon view (movable icons
with text underneath), obviously it's not relevant, but anywhere you're
going to present a list type view with icons intermingled with text, I
think it's important that the addition of icons don't increase the
vertical spacing between rows.  It just wastes space for (IMO) little to
no gain in usability.

    -brian