[Thunar-dev] Location Bar ala Firefox

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Mar 18 21:15:37 CET 2005

Adam Scheinberg wrote:

>Okay, semi-dumb question -- why is the first folder of the pathbar
>called "Home" with a capital H?  I get the idea, which is that it
>doesn't matter and it looks like a more "official" place, but since
>you've preserved the case of the subfolders, shouldn't all the visible
>locations - desktop, rodent, home, all be lowercase (read: the actual
>case of the folders to which they link)?
>
>The only arguable one is filesystem, which I assume drops you into /.
>Are these names coming from the GTK+ boxes or from the code?

"Home" in this sense isn't even a real directory name (presumably, for
Benny, it corresponds to /home/bmeurer/).  It's just the root element
for the virtual home:// folder.  Note the different icon.  As for
preserving case, the idea is to hide the details of the filesystem
itself and make it look good to the user, and the names aren't meant to
necessarily correspond to folder names anyway.  "Desktop" happens to
correspond to ~/Desktop, but that's not the point - it could be $HOME,
~/.gnome-desktop, or whatever (though I think we're probably pretty
settled on ~/Desktop).

As for the shortcuts bar, the stuff above the horizontal line
corresponds to what I've discussed above, and the stuff below are
user-created shortcuts, and should maintain the correct case of whatever
directory it's a shortcut to.

    -brian