[Thunar-dev] hello to Thunar-dev!

James Cho jamec at umich.edu
Fri Mar 18 10:21:28 CET 2005

> Actually there is no such thing as a spatial view. A spatial file manager is
> about behaviour and metaphors, not only about looks. A simple view in a
> navigational file manager should be possible by hiding the side pane,
> shouldn't it?

Ok, I concede; OS X's "simple" view does not constitute an SFM.

> And I sure hope not everything will be optional. For usable software it is
> important to make choices. Options come at a cost, which should be balanced
> against the benefits.

As do I, which is why I like Apple's and my own judicious trimming of options
and buttons.  I don't think everything should be an option (why I left
Enlightenment and KDE...), but sometimes to me it seems that others do ,except
when concerned with the SFM/NFM issue.  The controversy among power users and
the preference of some casual users towards an SFM implied to me that an option
should exist, while many other options should not.

To be honest, I can't stand a real SFM, though I find simple views useful.  Not
featuring an SFM sounds fine to me personally.  But it seems strange to me that
rarely do people suggest an optional SFM as a solution to the debate... it's not
something silly like drop shadow darkness (E17)...

-jc