[Thunar-dev] Classic UI

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 01:58:16 CET 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:57:50 +0100, Benedikt Meurer
<benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:

> >> Hm, while testing this feature, I think the "middle-click opens new
> >> window" should also be a double-click to make it consistent. Don't you
> >> think so?
> >
> > The logical, ordered, consistent part of me...
>
> You have a logical, ordered, consistent part? ;-)
>
> > ... absolutely screams that it
> > has to be a double click, but I think the ergonomics of the situation
> > will force a single click.  Unless we think it's valid to default to
> > double click, with an "accessibility option" to only require a single
> > click.  I dunno.  Sounds icky either way.
>
> It somehow sounds/feels like a hack.
>
> > On a side note, I absolultely *love* bringing in the"middle click opens
> > new window/tab" mentality from Firefox.
>
> In Firefox you click on links, not folders/files, thats a difference I
> guess.

A file or folder is an object. You drag it around to move it or copy
it. Right clicking gives you a list of things you can do to the
object.

A link is an action you. You click it, it takes you elsewhere. You
right click it, it gives you a list of ways to "do" it. Open in new
window, open in new tab.

This distinction gets blurry, because you can drag a link to a
bookmark bar, or run an application, but people don't generally think
in that mode unless they have to - that's why the save options are
lower down in the Firefox right click menu, and there are no action
like items in the right click menu in the Windows file manager at all
(at least on this system here).

> >    -brian
>
> Benedikt

CAPS LOCK: ITS LIKE THE CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME
-Erik