[Thunar-dev] Classic UI

Adam Scheinberg ascheinberg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 01:42:40 CET 2005

> As for the last comments about the difference between a manager
> and a web browser, I'm not so sure if there is one (or a least a big one)

Since you brought it up, I'm positive that MANY people will disagree,
but not only do I agree, but I firmly believe that there should NOT be
a difference.  Microsoft has gone to great lengths to make Explorer
(the file manager) hand off URLs (both http(s?) and ftp) to IE
seamlessly.  KDE has made Konq a single entity, and it does
everything.  For a user, a single window that has the power to browse
directories as easily as the web is attractive and often cited as less
confusing, as they can predict the behavior, which is then consistent.
 I'll look for some sources on that.

However, that said,  I also see the need at some point (which I know,
according to the wiki, is definitely at least a 2.0 feature) for a VFS
for mounting remote file systems.  I think the ability to handle local
files, http traffic, ftp, ssh, nfs, smb, etc in one window is
awesomely powerful.  I'd love  a non-clogged, speedy interface that
can offer me that.  After all, why should I handle files and
directories differently from one location to another? Should it matter
whether the folder is local, on a local server, or on a remote server?

I don't know if I feel that burn://, start-here://, fonts;//, apps://,
etc make as much sense, but I certainly feel that browsing in general
is an activity for which a single application does make sense.

That's why, as attractive as path view is, I'd vote for a location bar.

Adam