[Thunar-dev] Classic UI

Foxtrot simsalabimladen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 23:31:17 CET 2005

> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> This is the important question: Location bar or path bar?

Personally, I think that the path bar has many advantages:

1) Each folder in your path is one clickable object, meaning:
A: you can drag to that folder easily, as well as navigate there by
the use of your mouse without having to use the keyboard, which would
be more consistent with the rest of XFce than suddenly forcing you to
use the keyboard.
B: You can implement nifty right-click functions for the buttons (I
have no ideas yet, though).
C: You can collapse folders more easily (I personally think that a
path is more friendly without /usr, /dev, /etc in front of it), though
the use of this can (and probably will) be debated.
D: You can drag and drop the folder itself, so that it for example
becomes the root of a new path bar in a new window. I would classify
that as cool/useful.
2) The path view looks prettier. ;-)

I would not advise too much to be borrowed from Firefox. Web browsing
and file managing are very different, and it's IMO wrong to mix them
without careful thought.

I don't like the idea of the sidebar as shortcuts, but a tree view
that you can drag and drop to and that collapses/expands automatically
as you DnD. I don't know what its current behaviour is, though, as I
don't have access to my home PC at the moment.

This one is beautiful:
http://www.xfce.org/~benny/tmp/20050316-thunar-pathbar.png

--
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad move."