[Thunar-dev] Some UI Ideas

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Mon Mar 7 16:00:56 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> I agree with Botsie that it's important to be consistent here. If we
> choose b) then every folder DnD operation will open a new window, no
> matter if its performed on the location bar, the main view, the
> shortcuts sidebar or the treeview sidebar.

I think the treeview should be an exception. The logical thing there
would be to just display the node's children if they're not visible
otherwise don't do anything.

Here consistency negates the benefits of a treeview.

hmmm, no let me correct myself.

In a larger sense, this is *more* consistent. In general, the user would
expect that DnD or DnH would cause something to happen under the
pointer. However, carrying the discussed behavior to the sidebar would
cause either something to happen only on the main pane or at best to
both panes. Thats contrary to what would happen elsewhere.

The implication is that not only would DnH on the treeview cause only
the treeview to expand but DnH to a shortcut/bookmark should do nothing
at all.

Hope I make sense.

-- b