[Thunar-dev] Some UI Ideas

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Mon Mar 7 15:05:51 CET 2005

Biju Chacko wrote:

> * There should not be any buttons for folders below the current one in
> the location bar. IMHO, the current behavior is confusing. It's also
> difficult to parse in a glance your location by checking the pressed
> state of a button.

It would make life easier if you like to zap back and forward. That
might be usefull if you're splitting up those huge folders into
subfolders. That is the typical use we're aiming for I think.

Not particularly for or against this feature.

> * When you DnD a file to a folder in the icon view and hold it there
> without releasing the mouse key, what should be the correct behavior?
> (a) do nothing
> (b) open up a new file manager window showing that folder
> (c) navigate to that folder.
>
> a is least confusing, but is also least useful.
> b is more consistent with a spatial metaphor
> c is more consistent with a browser metaphor
>
> I'd suggest that either b or c should be chosen because I think it
> provides a fairly powerful way to quickly DnD between widely disparate
> parts of the filesystem.

hard choice. I would go for the browser choice as opening up new windows
poses other problems that might create more problems (focus policy,
window placement etc). These would be avoided if you pick 'c'.

sofar