[Thunar-dev] GtkFileChooser-like UI

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sat Mar 5 22:54:39 CET 2005

Erik Peterson wrote:
> Just thought i might add some feedback. from an end user POV.  I am a
> nerd, just not a programmer.  I have found the GTK file chooser method
> to be very useful and intuituve.  It is really one of the best
> implementions for a file chooser I have seen.  Really convientent.
> The only two  things _I_ would like added to the mockup, and i know it
> had been said before, is a location "type in here the path you want"
> bar or some way to get access to a similar functionality quickly and a
> filter or search functionality.  The only search / filter
> functionality available in XFCE, besides at the CLI, is in xffm.  Yes
> of course I can go to the CLI but it is not ideal.  This time a
> cleaner way to get to the results would be great too.
>
> Thank you all for your work, good luck.

Like the gtk filechooser we should probably have an autocompleting
dialog popup on Ctrl-L to type in the location.

Also, a query interface is very important and is going to be more
important in the future when all these facy indexing technologies like
beagle will become useable. We're considering to make a query sidepane
with the results showing in the file window. We also discussed the
possibility of saving searches (like virtual folders in the bookmarks).

So many ideas, so little time...

	Jasper