[Thunar-dev] GtkFileChooser-like UI

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Sat Mar 5 16:48:02 CET 2005

Jeff Franks wrote:

> Benedikt Meurer wrote:

>>> No!
>>

>> Jeff, can you please explain what you dislike about this mockup exactly?
>>
> That's was a kneejerk but heartfelt No! I was hoping we could do
> better than that. The old GtkFileSelector was dreadful but functional.
> The new GtkFileChooser is a big improvement but still not the best GUI
> design I've seen to base a file manager on. And in either GTK+ 2.8 or
> 2.10 GtkFileChooser will have an icon view, so then the above file
> chooser design will look just like a GtkFileChooser widget. The row of
> location buttons at the top of the icon view will take up unnecessary
> space if the window also has a toolbar. The functionality of the
> buttons could easly be implemented as a drop down list

That sucks IMO. Windows Explorer uses that (drop down list) and it's a
pain in the ass to work with. Seeing the mockups now as they are there
is hardly "unnecessary space" taken up. As a matter of fact, the whole
desing looks very clean to me.

To me a drop-down lists stands for 'hiding an expert feature'. I don't
think this is very intuitive too, since a list should provide items in a
certain category, not something in a hierarchy.

> on an optional location bar, or as an optional tool item on the
> toolbar. The sidebar looks fixed but it should be optional.

maybe, I don't care personally about that. I actually would think that
turning on/off some of the UI features is useful, making the desing
almost look 'modular'. With these path buttons available, I would even
go as far as to remove the sidebar and the toolbar. Toolbars are a
highly overrated UI featur anyway. A properly setup menu is much better.

> I think a simple default layout with optional features (treeview,
> sidebar, toolbar, etc) would be best. Whatever the final Thunar design
> though, it should reflect the Xfce user's needs rather than the Xfce
> programmer's preferences. And it should let users have control of how
> they interact with Thunar and Xfce.

The idea I am getting from the path buttons is that even geeks and nerds
like them (seeing the responses on the ML). I get the feeling they could
bridge the new user to the experts out there. They certainly receive a
positive response....

sofar