[Thunar-dev] GtkFileChooser-like UI

Jeff Franks jcfranks at tpg.com.au
Sun Mar 6 00:02:05 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> Jeff Franks wrote:
>
>>> As requested by Auke, here's a mockup with an UI that mimics the
>>> GtkFileChooser:
>>>
>>> http://www.xfce.org/~benny/tmp/thunar-gtkfilechooser-like.png
>>>
>> No!
>

> Jeff, can you please explain what you dislike about this mockup exactly?

That's was a kneejerk but heartfelt No! I was hoping we could do better
than that. The old GtkFileSelector was dreadful but functional. The new
GtkFileChooser is a big improvement but still not the best GUI design
I've seen to base a file manager on. And in either GTK+ 2.8 or 2.10
GtkFileChooser will have an icon view, so then the above file chooser
design will look just like a GtkFileChooser widget. The row of location
buttons at the top of the icon view will take up unnecessary space if
the window also has a toolbar. The functionality of the buttons could
easly be implemented as a drop down list on an optional location bar, or
as an optional tool item on the toolbar. The sidebar looks fixed but it
should be optional.

I think a simple default layout with optional features (treeview,
sidebar, toolbar, etc) would be best. Whatever the final Thunar design
though, it should reflect the Xfce user's needs rather than the Xfce
programmer's preferences. And it should let users have control of how
they interact with Thunar and Xfce.

Regards,
Jeff. Deux