[Thunar-dev] Spatial or not-spatial?

Jari Rahkonen jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi
Fri Mar 4 13:11:04 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> Ok, this needs clearance. The analogy is correct, maybe I made a
> mistake while translating it to english. The whole point in the
> analogy is the ever increasing amount of data. With the WWW people
> have already realized that a query-interface is needed (tho, these
> interfaces aren't perfect yet, *IMHO*), but with filesystems, people
> keep on fighting for their treeviews.

I'm sorry to butt in, but I'm a bit confused. You're right in that
the amount of data is increasing in both the web and modern
filesystems, but that seems to me to be the only major similarity
between the two.

I search the web to find data. I search my file system to locate
a certain file or to find certain types of files. I don't search
my filesystem very often because I usually know where I've stored
my files, or at least where in my filesystem I should look for
them. When it comes to the web this is rarely true.

To me the internet seems more like a whopping large directory with
a myriad of everchanging files than a hierarchical filesystem tree,
so I can't help but feel that this analogy of yours seems quite
artificial. And the fact that the latest screenshot you posted
seems exactly like what Brian's proposing confuses me even more.
Please don't take offense, I'm mostly just trying to clarify
things for myself.

BTW if the screenshot looks anything like what thunar will
be, I'm already sold. That's exactly what I've been looking
for.