[Thunar-dev] Learning from Xffm

Scott Horowitz scott at theskyiscrape.com
Wed Mar 2 00:57:41 CET 2005

Hopefully no one minds me weighing into the discussion a bit, as I'm
just a lowly Xfce user (I'm no Human Interaction Designer ;) ), but I've
been excitedly following thunar development thus far. While I think that
starting from scratch is admirable and has may benefits, it's also
obviously important to learn from user feedback from the existing file
manager - something that I haven't seen much of.

The first thing that comes to mind with Xffm is that a user's initial
perception is VERY important. I personally think this is Xffm's weakest
point. The application should present itself in as simple of a manner as
possible. No extra features, no two-way split screen with sides that are
largely not connected, no loads of icons (like quit and preferences?),
no large menu system integrated into a single, vague menu item ("Main
menu"), and so on. If a user feels initially overwhelmed or confused,
there is little incentive to trying to figure things out. I know there's
been a lot of recent discussion about spacial vs. non-spatial, and while
I greatly prefer a navigational tree of some sort to keep me "grounded",
there's a lot to be said for the simple spatial look.

Don't get me wrong though, I do use Xffm and actually enjoy it a lot - I
find it fits me better than any other file manager. But I use it in its
very simplest sense (see screenshot below). One pane, few file/dir
details, no icons, etc. If it came like this by default, I think more
people would warm up to it.

One of my favorite things about Xffm is its hybrid navigational system -
where you can use the tree arrows to expand/collapse and maintain the
tree structure or you can double-click a dir and have that become the
tree's "base". In many ways, this is a hyrbid of the spatial and tree
structure. Continually double-clicking directories acts like the spatial
system (not display-wise, but "jumping" from one folder to another)
whereas using the arrows preserves the hierarchy. I find it very
interesting. If you assume that "new" users double-click things by
default, well, then you basically have the spatial view. For advanced
users that figure out the arrows provide advanced manuevering, you have
the tree view.

Just my incoherent thoughts on the subject :) There are a lot of quirks
with Xffm (right-clicking on icons brings up a subset of icons, etc.),
but to be honest, if thunar or xffm simply used this one-pane hybrid
navigational system, had a more intuitive file menu, and a few choice
icons, it would be perfect for myself and many others, I would argue.

Sorry in advance if this wasted anyone's time ;)

http://www.theskyiscrape.com/scott/xffm.png

--
-Scott Horowitz
http://www.theskyiscrape.com