[Thunar-dev] Proposed preferences for Thunar

Ori Bernstein rand_chars at rogers.com
Wed Jun 29 03:32:16 CEST 2005

As mentioned earlier on this list
(http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/thunar-dev/2005-June/000644.html), someone
needs to come up with a good set of preferences for Thunar.  Since I'm a bit
too braindead right now to sit and code, I've taken it upon myself to make a
quick list, and put it up for discussion.

This email is a bit long in order to cover all the material, and it has a
small wishlist of mine at the bottom which is a bit OT, but it contains a good
list of my proposed preferences, with a quick description, and possibly a
rationale. Also, it contains a few notable omissions, and the reason I omitted
them.

I got inspiration from Konqueror, Rox, and Nautilus, mainly IE's options are
rather uninspiring =P.

So, without further ado, I'd like to propose the following options:

Default view type: {Folder, Icon, List...}
    - Set the view type that folders will be opened to by default.
Show Hidden:       [t][f]
    - Show hidden files (ie: files starting with .). This should be in
      the View menu, and should be per-folder, I think.
Show Sidebar:      [t][f]
    - Shows the sidebar or hides it.
Icon size: {large, medium, small}
    - This should probably translate into different sizes for the different
      views. Maybe have the actual pixel sizes hidden in a config file
      eg:
        iconview_size_large=128
        listview_size_large=32
        iconview_size_large=64
     This should keep the "powerusers" who want to actually control their icon
     sizes precisely happy while keeping configuration simple.

List Columns: {[]Size, []Type, []Modified, []Owner, []Group, []Permissions...}
    - The possible columns in the listview. Not much to say.

Default Sort By: {Name, Type, Size, Modified, Owner, ...}
   - For the ones that would have definite categories (type, owner), it would
     be nice to have an explorer-like grouping type (see
     http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/windows/2005/04/19/graphics/figure1.gif)
Directories Spring Open After <slider from 100ms to 2 seconds>
    - Auto-opening directories like ROX. Makes DND easier.

Notable omissions:
    - Single/Double click navigation: AFAIK, this is a global option for GTK.
      Thunar should follow it.

    - What to do with executable text files: If an action is associated with
      application/x-shellscript, run the action. Else, (not sure which is right)
      1) run the script or
      2) prompt, ask if you want to associate something with it, or run it.

    - Hide extensions: IMO, this is a bad option. Correct behavior (again, IMO)
      is similar to what Nautilus does - when renaming, just highlight up to
      the beginning of the extension.

    - Launch folders in new window: So far, Thunar doesn't seem to have a very
      spatial interface, and doesn't seem to be headed in that direction at
      all. I see no added benefit. If someone wants a filemanager that is
      spatial, I think they should use one designed that way.

Misc notes:
    I tried to keep the number of options down to a useful minimum, and
    suggested some hidden ones. There are probably a fair number more that I
    think would be useful hidden options, such as thumbnail quality, etc.

    I also wonder if it's a good idea to store per-directory preferences
    (window size/position, view type, etc) in metadata if extended attributes
    are available. IMO, it would make for a nicer user experience.

    Also, I'd REALLY like to see some of the following features:
    - Auto-opening folders for DND (see Rox, Apple Finder (I think? Never
      really used a Mac))
    - Middle-click opens folder in new window
    - Right-drag gives list of options when dragging file ("copy, move, link,
      cancel")
    - Currently, if you click on a pathbar button which is a superdir of your
      current location, the subdirectories of the dir you clicked in disappear
      from the pathbar.

      Not only is this inconsistent with the GTK filechooser, it makes the
      pathbar less useful,  since if each button represents a directory and
      can accept drags, you could put a file into the directory from which
      you just came, or rapidly switch back and forth, or many other uses.

      I think the pathbar should check if the current location is a subdir of
      the directory it's changing to. If it is, it should leave the buttons
      alone, else it should clear them.

--
The hearing ear is always found close to the speaking tongue, a custom
whereof the memory of man runneth not howsomever to the contrary,