[Thunar-dev] Thumbnails

Ori Bernstein rand_chars at rogers.com
Tue Jun 28 21:46:36 CEST 2005

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:44:14 +0200
Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> said:

> Ori Bernstein wrote:
> > One important thing though, is that the list gets displayed quickly, and
> > doesn't freeze the filemanager while listing (Nautilus (2.10) *does* freeze when
> > listing large dirs).
>
> Thunar 1.0 will most probably also freeze, since loading stuff happens
> in the main thread, while the thumbnailer runs in a separate thread.
> This isn't much of a problem tho, since the listing is very fast even
> with large directories.

> from my experiments, it adds too much overhead, due to synchronization
> issues.

Fair enough. well, when loading the directories, can you go through
while (gtk_events_pending())
	gtk_main_iteration();
to prevent  the UI from locking up? Then again, if it's the laying out of the
icons in the ExoIconView that's causing the problem, this probably wouldn't
make a difference.

> BTW: nautilus 2.10 doesn't freeze during the directory loading stage, as
> that's done in a separate thread in gnome-vfs. What can make the UI feel
> 'freezed' is the icon loading and view layouting, which is done in the
> main thread.

It does lock up - it might be the layout and so on, but when loading a huge
directory (thumbnails make it worse, I think) the UI won't be refreshed in all
windows for a few seconds.

It's not really important what nautilus does, though.

> The icon/tree view layouting is also the most problemtic thing when
> talking about large directories. With what we currently have for
> ExoIconView and what GtkIconView 2.8 has, this is very slow.

I see. well, if this becomes a problem (the slow layout), I could spend some
time and see about optimizing it.

> Benedikt

unix soit qui mal y pense