[Thunar-dev] [Usability] Proposed simplifications

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Jun 6 17:49:51 CEST 2005

whistler at fnord.ch wrote:
>>>Hm, somehow I think, there's a difference between navigating the file
>>>system and acting on the file system. Action happens in the main view,
>>>navigation *can* happen in the main view, but it will most often happen
>>>in the pure navigational components (favourites pane, tree pane,
>>>location bar, location dialog/entry, ...).
>>>
>>>Or do I miss a point here?
>>
>>I don't think that the shotcut/favourites/bookmark pane counts as a
>>full fledged
>>navigational component. It allows you to jump to a certain point in the
>>filesystem hierarchy, but afterwards you have to use some of the other
>>navigational components (the tree pane, location bar/dialog/entry)).
>>
>>In the current implementation, however, you cannot use this combination.
>
> Of course the tree-view-pane would have to implement the same file
> manipulation
> capabilities as the list view and the icon view. OS X has something similar,
> though they don't show the shortcut pane while the tree view is active, I
> think.

Dunno. People requested the Window Explorer like tree-navigation in the
sidepane several times. And I know quite a few people that complained
about the missing side-tree in xffm several times (xffm has two
independent tree panes).

We could add a main tree view later (if necessary). It doesn't fit the
current design either, where the ThunarListModel is actually a list
representation of a folder, rather than a tree (that could be changed of
course).

I kinda understand your point, but experience tells me that this is not
the way most people will want to interact with Thunar. I'd like to hear
how the others think about this topic.

> Raphael

greets,