[Thunar-dev] reducing stat()'s and fread's

Wit Wilinski madman at linux.bydg.org
Sat Jun 4 15:12:53 CEST 2005

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 15:05:23 +0200
Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:

> The shared mime database spec mentions that an implementation MAY query
> the MIME type from an extended attribute:
>
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/shared-mime-info-spec/shared-mime-info-spec-0.13.html#id2506422
>
> This can be supported, but since most file systems don't support
> extended attributes (and those that do, differ in implementations across
> operating systems), it is on low priority. In addition, this requires
I know it's not well supported, currently. Although I think that it may be the way to optimizing mime type detection in the future. The first and most important thing would be a good fallback system (eg. for processing files on fat32 filesystems).
Determining file's type by extension is IMHO out of the question. It's too primitive and files might have different extension than their contents...

--
"Nie lekajmy sie zatem 'wyplynac na glebie' wielkiego oceanu informatyki"
	-- Jan Pawel II