[Thunar-dev] next step in thunar development

Jeff Franks jcfranks at tpg.com.au
Fri Jun 3 03:43:53 CEST 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

>Just to make sure there's no misunderstanding: While this sounds like we
>are limited to C as implementation language, its not the case. The core
>will (and has to be) written in C. For the upper layers, esp. plugins at
>a later time, I can imagine several programming languages. I think Java,
>C++ and Python are the ones of interest here.

Benny,

For XFC 4.3.2 I want to provide wrappers for the Xfce4 libraries and
this has had me wondering about libexo, your Xfce4 widget extension
library. Clearly Thunar will depend on this library but it isn't in the
Xfce4 SVN like Thunar. Does that mean that Xfce 4.4 will depend on an
external library or do you plan to move it to the SVN. Currently XFC has
these modules: libXFCcore, libXFCui and libXFCglade. If libexo were in
the SVN then I could include possibly one or two new modules: libXFCxfce
and/or libXFCexo.

On another note (please everybody, lets not start a long pointless
discussion about this) I just wanted to say - I hope everyone thinks
carefully their choice of language. Their is no doubt C++ has the
beneift of raw speed and power over Java and Python (which are easier to
use but slower). Surely, its important to keep Xfce4 not only easy to
use but fast as well. I think minimizing the number of different
langauges used to program one application will make future maintenance
easier. Here are a couple of benchmark links you can check out:

http://www.flat222.org/mac/bench/
http://www.tommti-systems.de/go.html?http://www.tommti-systems.de/main-Dateien/reviews/languages/benchmarks.html

Regards,
Jeff.