[Thunar-dev] Clearance

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Jun 2 12:04:57 CEST 2005

Jeff Franks wrote:

>>>IMHO, there is not much to fork yet. It all depends on the goals.
>>>
>>>My own goal, as the project leader of Xfce, was to get a lightweight,
>>>simple file manager for Xfce as a replacement of Xffm which is showing
>>>its age.
>>>
>>>If Thunar choose to follow other goals, that's fine with me, but that's
>>>not the file manager of choice for Xfce in the future.
>>
>>Thunar's goals are well-known
>>(http://thunar.xfce.org/wiki/requirements:goal
>
> You keep eluding the fact! What do you want to do? What are you going to
> do?

Not sure which fact you mean. I think I made my point clear: Thunar will
be developed, with or without Xfce.

> You say Thunar goals are well known. Well here they are:
>
> * Easy to use
> * Clean interface
> * High degree of maintainability
> * Portability
> * Standard compliance
> * Performance
> * Accessibility
>
> So which goals do you have a problem with? Over the past few months
> thunar-dev has dealt with the first two: ease of use and a clean
> interface. The last five require some written code before they can be
> judged.

No, they require some thinking first. Hacking down the code is the easy
part afterwards.

> The thunar-dev members now seem to have reached a point where
> they would like to see some code. You are the Thunar project leader. The
> past several months have given you great insight into what USERS want.
> Now you have an interface template to work with. It's your
> responsibility as project leader to lay down the coding rules and write
> the first code.

So what? If you don't plan to take part in development, but want to wait
for the first code (this is also how I read Brian's mail), then you'll
have to be patient.

> If you have already done that, and Python it is, then
> you need to say so. Otherwise you need to decide on the language Thunar
> will use and get started.

The language is just an implementation detail. It could be written in
virtually any language. It could be C, C++, Python or Java. With the
core functionality written in C, you can even switch the language for
the application at any given time in the future. I'm not religious
enough to believe in that ONE language.

> Regards,
> Jeff.

greets,