[Thunar-dev] Help needed? -> next steps

Benedikt Meurer benny at xfce.org
Wed Jun 1 21:22:31 CEST 2005

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>>>In order to maximize the infrastructure use we have I suggest that
>>>I setup an svn directory in which all changes can be merged ASAP.
>>>Additionally I'd like to appoint someone project maintainer that
>>>can grant other people write access to this SVN repository, so we
>>>can get mutliple people working on different parts as soon as that
>>>becomes possible.
>>>
>>>Brian, would you be willing to pull this? I'll handle the
>>>administrativa as usual.
>
> *takes deep breath*  Ok, I'll do it, tentatively.  I don't want to
> jump into this until we really know what's going on.  If Benny's
> "limitations" can still allow Thunar to be integrated into Xfce and
> keep with what the rest of us want to see in a file manager, there's
> little point to forking.  To that end...
>
> Benedikt: Ok, it's time.  We've been very patient.  You disappeared
> for two months, without any information as to your position or your
> intentions.  I understand that sometimes we get burned out on things
> (in fact, I'm an expert at getting burned out on things), but, to be
> blunt, you've been very rude in not letting us know your plans.  As
> Auke so simply put it: "please explain now."

My feeling was (and still is) that the latest happenings on thunar-dev
were/are no longer in-line with the initial goals: More and more
features were requested, nobody seemed to have any interested in
development, instead names were discussed extensively or sentences like
"let's start by translating Python to C" came up, etc.; all this is not
in-line with Thunar's goals.

Somehow Thunar was hyped too much already. People who know me are aware
that I don't give a damn for hypes. Hypes are for the masses. I prefer
quality.

Since nobody knows what Xfce's goals are exactly (and no, lightweight is
not really a useful goal here, as it's more of a result of good design,
and thereby the result of reaching a goal, rather than a goal of it's
own), it's hard to tell whether Xfce's goals are in-line with Thunar's
goals (one of the things about Xfce, that are very frustating for me).

So, Thunar's goals are clear. If Xfce's goals don't fit, we'll have two
different projects, as I won't spend any spare time on just another file
manager.

>     -brian

Benedikt

PS: I dunno about you, but I for myself have a real-life, that sometimes
requires me to spend one or two months on a project, with little to no
spare time (atleast no spare time to waste for endless debates).

--
Xfce  --  small, stable, fast  --  http://www.xfce.org/

           (__)
           (oo)