[Thunar-dev] Help needed? -> next steps

Foxtrot simsalabimladen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 11:51:56 CEST 2005

On 6/1/05, Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 10:17:05AM +0200, Auke Kok wrote:
> > Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> > >I vote for #2.  To be perfectly blunt, Benny hasn't been too forthcoming
> > >with his position lately.  I understand wanting to take a break, but at
> > >this point I'd rather not rely on someone external, especially someone
> > >who isn't really sure how involved he wants to be.
> > >
> > >To that end, I'm looking here:
> > >http://www.xfce.org/~benny/tmp/thunar-relations-20050328.png
> > >
> > >I'm thinking about implementing very tiny, incomplete versions of
> > >ThunarFileInfo and ThunarMimeInfo, and then building ThunarDesktopModel
> > >and ThunarDesktopView on top of them.  I'm going to try to do this by
> > >this weekend.  I have a friend visiting me for a week starting next
> > >Monday, so I likely won't be coding at all while he's here.
> > >

> > In order to maximize the infrastructure use we have I suggest that I
> > setup an svn directory in which all changes can be merged ASAP.
> > Additionally I'd like to appoint someone project maintainer that can
> > grant other people write access to this SVN repository, so we can get
> > mutliple people working on different parts as soon as that becomes
> > possible.
> >
> > Brian, would you be willing to pull this? I'll handle the administrativa
> > as usual.
> >
> > Also, I vote for naming the project codename 'nomad' immediately and
> > perhaps renaming/restarting the mailing list ASAP, to prevent confusion.
> > Since we really should be stepping away from the name 'thunar' I see no
> > reason to use 'thunar' for the mailinglist anymore. The Thunar website
> > will stay online as benny is the maintainer of it, but a new one can be
> > available shortly (need a webmaster)
> >
> > All of this requires at least a group of -lets say- at least 5 *active*
> > people. I can do the organisation but for me that's where it ends too.
> > so... Chairmain Brian?
> >

> Brian, I really hope you want to try this. Erik has mentioned he wants to work
> on it as well. Personally I'm very interested in this effort, but there is no
> way I can find enough time to play a leading role -- I barely manage to
> maintain the panel.
>
> Btw, I really like 'Nomad' as the name.
>
> So we do need some C coders to fill in the backend functionality. We could
> perhaps ask on the Xfce list as well.
>
>         Jasper

I'm not much good for C (although I've been learning some Python
lately), but I can do webdesign, and I'm able to write semantic,
accessible, fast, and (I think anyway) good-looking designs. My
foremost flaw is that I get caught up in school and my sites therefore
lack polish/IE compatibility. ;-)

I have two more exams this week, but then I'm mostly available for
making a website.

I'd very much like to make a website for Thunar, as I haven't yet had
a chance to make something real - it's mostly just been for myself.
These are some of the things I've done that are still online, none of
which I'm very happy with.

http://www.freewebs.com/halol/mozilla/mozfest.html (mostly just
experimenting, not IE compatible)
http://www.freewebs.com/halol/studenten.html
http://www.freewebs.com/halol/mozilla/index.html (concept design for
spreadfirefox.com)

I'll try to make a design next week when I have time.

--
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad move."