[Thunar-dev] Help needed? -> next steps

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Wed Jun 1 10:17:05 CEST 2005

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

>Auke Kok wrote:
>

>>As such we have two options:
>>
>>(1) Follow Benedikt where he is going and be confident that his 'thunar'
>>will integrate or operate well within Xfce4
>>
>>(2) Fork thunar into something new and make sure ourselves that ... see
>>above.
>>

>I vote for #2.  To be perfectly blunt, Benny hasn't been too forthcoming
>with his position lately.  I understand wanting to take a break, but at
>this point I'd rather not rely on someone external, especially someone
>who isn't really sure how involved he wants to be.
>
>To that end, I'm looking here:
>http://www.xfce.org/~benny/tmp/thunar-relations-20050328.png
>
>I'm thinking about implementing very tiny, incomplete versions of
>ThunarFileInfo and ThunarMimeInfo, and then building ThunarDesktopModel
>and ThunarDesktopView on top of them.  I'm going to try to do this by
>this weekend.  I have a friend visiting me for a week starting next
>Monday, so I likely won't be coding at all while he's here.

In order to maximize the infrastructure use we have I suggest that I
setup an svn directory in which all changes can be merged ASAP.
Additionally I'd like to appoint someone project maintainer that can
grant other people write access to this SVN repository, so we can get
mutliple people working on different parts as soon as that becomes
possible.

Brian, would you be willing to pull this? I'll handle the administrativa
as usual.

Also, I vote for naming the project codename 'nomad' immediately and
perhaps renaming/restarting the mailing list ASAP, to prevent confusion.
Since we really should be stepping away from the name 'thunar' I see no
reason to use 'thunar' for the mailinglist anymore. The Thunar website
will stay online as benny is the maintainer of it, but a new one can be
available shortly (need a webmaster)

All of this requires at least a group of -lets say- at least 5 *active*
people. I can do the organisation but for me that's where it ends too.
so... Chairmain Brian?

Auke