[Thunar-dev] Slow media

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sat Jul 16 12:37:16 CEST 2005

Johannes Zellner wrote:
> Hm I don't know much of such stuff, but wouldn't it be possible to make
> a behaviour like xmms-playlist :-)
>
>>That's just
>>
>> d = opendir();
>> while (readdir(d)) {...}
>> closedir(d);
>>
>>that can be done within a few microseconds (from warm cache) depending
>>on the directory size.
>>

> and then read the mime-types after this period, depending on the shown
> files.
> Because in big directories, I mostly search a while for the needed file,
> so the user can search for filenames, while Thunar is loading mime-stuff.
>
> Just und idea :-D

That's what we do right now. But this doesn't work properly with the
details view, as you need to know the MIME-type comment to laid out the
corresponding tree view column, and therefore you need to determine all
MIME types anyways to complete the GtkTreeViews size allocation.

I guess I'll try to do the loading of local folders asynchronously and
ditch the file cache (which currently causes most of the problems with
thread-safetly). But that means, libexo (atleast ExoMimeInfo and
ExoMimeDatabase) needs to be thread-safe as well. And it means that
we'll depend on GObject 2.8 or better.