[Thunar-dev] Slow media

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sat Jul 16 00:13:11 CEST 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> While testing some volume manager related stuff, I tried to load a large
> folder from a CD-ROM (the i386 folder from one of my more or less unused
> Windows 2000 install CDs, which contains about 4000 files) into the tree
> view and it took forever, even after the folder content was visible (I
> suspect this is GtkTreeView loading icon data for the invisible items,
> tho haven't checked yet). And of course, since currently everything runs
> in the main thread, the GUI was blocked.

Ok, just checked with other file managers (Nautilus, ROX, Xffm), and
this directory is not fun to load with any of them either. The problem
is that the file extensions are b0rked (name.xx_) and so the MIME code
has to open every single file, just to realize that it's only "garbage"
(application/octect-stream).