[Thunar-dev] Thumbnails

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 20:31:14 CEST 2005

On 6/30/05, Biju Chacko <botsie at xfce.org> wrote:
> Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> > This would be that we need to remember the chosen view per directory. We
> > can do that, no problem, just the question: Should we actually do it
> > that way?
>
> Absolutely not. Not unless we are providing a spatial mode in which all
> sorts of folder-specific settings are saved.

I think that view saving is very useful, but I suspect you are right.
Down that path lies hybrid spatial-navigational madness.

Windows XP's basic thumbnail view really just seems like the pretty
standard thumbnail view of other file managers, just with large
thumbnails and spacing.

I would argue that this is just the basic thunar icon view with
thumbnailing turned on. I would just make thumbnailing optional, put
it in the icon view, and provide a toolbar button for those who need
to alternate.

People who would really make use of it keep all their images in a
single folder anyway, so leaving it on most of the time is only a
small performance hit (hopefully, since there are no thumnailable
objects in other folders), or a small click overhead (one click when
decending into their ~/images folder, for example).

My opinion at any rate. I'd like to see harder numbers on the
thumbnail performance before we decide.

(Sorry I'm late, was out of town again)

> -- b

"This brings me back to a time where I had no worries.
All I needed to do was watch Perfect Strangers."
-Erik