[Thunar-dev] Spatial or not-spatial?

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Feb 28 21:21:38 CET 2005

Corsac wrote:
>>If you are only talking about the very basic file operations, then I'd
>>like to disagree as well here. I don't think the world needs another
>>desktop vfs library. If this is really necessary, then we should use
>>gnome-vfs or wait for the fdo people to come up with something.
>
> Maybe it's time for xfce developpers to share their ideas with fd.o ? I
> dont know if it's easy and not too much time consuming, but maybe they
> could be interested...

If you read the xdg list, you see this topic popping up every now and
then. But there's not much progress in the discussion at any time. The
best point was made by Havoc recently, who said that a VFS library
shouldn't reimplement the POSIX API, but instead, implement a higher
level API. Think in terms of 'read the contents of document A' instead
of 'open document A', 'seek to position 50', 'read 10 bytes', ...