[Thunar-dev] Spatial or not-spatial?

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Feb 28 09:40:32 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
>>> I have talked to quite a few people about the spatial or not-spatial
>>> question recently, and I came to the conclusion, that atleast Thunar
>>> 1.0 should implement the browser-like paradigm.
>>
>> Hehe. At FOSDEM Auke just held a very good speech (almost passionate
>> ;-) about why we should use spatial. What were your reasons to change
>> your mind?
>
> Well, unfortunately, it seems like most of the existing Xfce users/devs
> are not able to adopt the new paradigm.

I think the most important problem for people is that they would need to
change the way they organize their files (in other words, the way they
think of their file system). Although, with queries in the file manager,
this point is invalid. So, in the end, its only the usual resistance
against something new I guess.

But whatever, atleast 50% of the Xfce officials will need to agree on
spatial before we go that way. So, if you can make them change their
minds, we'll happily release a spatial file manager (it makes not only
the user interface easier, but also the design/implementation).