[Thunar-dev] Random thoughts

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Sun Feb 20 14:14:38 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

>> TOOLBAR
>> The buttons I couldn't live without in the toolbar:
>> - back
>> - up
>> - reload
>> - home
>> - change icons size

I can live without that. most people prefer a certain setting and if we
pick a default and provide a way to change this default, I think it's
unnecessary

>> - iconview/listview switch

this makes sense, still, it is not needed to provide this in the default
window for the same reson: most people only have one preferred view

>> - show hidden files
>> - show thumbnails

not sure about thumbnails... why not enable this by default again and
hide this setting?

>> A right clic menu with the following items:
>> - new directory
>> - select all
>> - properties
>> - find
>> - copy/cut/paste
>> - send to (customizable list of apps)

create link

> That will be a list of 'Open With...' entries (with a default one),
> that is build of the Mime applications on your system (using the
> MimeType information in the .desktop files). This system is currently
> used by Nautilus, but is expected to become the standard in the future.
>
>> +/- STOLEN FROM ROX
>> - Use the great copy/move DND popup
>

> Something similar, yep.

yet again, create link is missing

>> window with a fixed size and one clic navigation,
>
> - I'm Old School, so I don't like spatial mode, and vote for a unique
>
> Yep, tho probably configurable and default to double-click (as thats
> the most common for file managers).
>
>> but with the ability
>> of auto-resizing the window using a double clic on the window
>> background.
>

> Did I mention that I consider this behaviour a bug in ROX (probably
> based on my experience that this never worked properly with Xinerama)?
> ;-)
>
> Nah, but seriously, maybe as a hidden/expert option. It's really a
> very unintuitive feature, especially if you meant to double-click a
> directory, but hit the background and the file manager resizes its
> window.

especially for lunar I'll write a patch that would disable such a
feature. *BAD*.

>> - If spatial mode isn't used, why not implementing tabs??
>
> Hm, that wouldn't be compatible with 'simple' I guess.

I don't use tabs in anything else than my browser, and for a file
manager especially dual windows is a benefit (drag/drop). I consider
tabs in a file manager a bit too much.

>> XFCE INTEGRATION
>> - Find a way to add a file/folder/application from thunar to the panel
>> using DND, in order to create a launcher (a usual launcher, or a
>> launcher which would be part of a dedicated panel plugin), eg using the
>> data stored in thunar, like the application used to open a particular
>> file?
>

> Easy to do.

yes for creating launchers by drag and drop, but maybe not for launching
documents, although that's very nice. However, I feel it would be a
better implementation if e.g. xfce-panel would use the same
mime/open-with mechanism as the desktop/fm. This would standardise
things better.

ciao,

sofar