[Thunar-dev] Random thoughts

Francois Le Clainche fleclainche at wanadoo.fr
Sat Feb 19 19:40:37 CET 2005

Hi,

Today, I've tried to think. Yes I did. My 2 cents follow.

URL BAR
I vote for no location toolbar but an open location dialog

TOOLBAR
The buttons I couldn't live without in the toolbar:
- back
- up
- reload
- home
- change icons size
- iconview/listview switch
- show hidden files
- show thumbnails

Plus
- desktop?
- bookmarks?
- show/hide menu?

All that in an optional customizable toolbar like in Terminal.

TREE VIEW
I've never used the tree view, even under Windows, and never missed it,
so my opinion would be that it's not really required in thunar.
We would need a $HOME and a Desktop shorcuts, no / shortcut. The Desktop
would allow to reach the content of the ~/Desktop folder, which could
include "virtual" links to the detected removable media?

MENU

A menu bar similar to what's currently in the prototype, plus a "sort
by..." items in the View menu; the alternative will be using the row
"headers" from of list-view mode

A right clic menu with the following items:
- new directory
- select all
- properties
- find
- copy/cut/paste
- send to (customizable list of apps)

+/- STOLEN FROM ROX
- Use the great copy/move DND popup
- I'm Old School, so I don't like spatial mode, and vote for a unique
window with a fixed size and one clic navigation, but with the ability
of auto-resizing the window using a double clic on the window
background. Finally, I really like the "open new window" action using a
middle clic, which works on the toolbar, and maybe could work from the
bookmarks menu?

STOLEN FROM WEB BROWSERS
- I'd like to see a "bookmarks" menu and/or a shortcut to the bookmarks
from a toolbar button
- If spatial mode isn't used, why not implementing tabs??

XFCE INTEGRATION
- Find a way to add a file/folder/application from thunar to the panel
using DND, in order to create a launcher (a usual launcher, or a
launcher which would be part of a dedicated panel plugin), eg using the
data stored in thunar, like the application used to open a particular
file?

That's all, for now :P

Cheers
François