[Installit-dev] Download wizard problems

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Sat Mar 18 19:00:02 CET 2006

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 17:32:10 +0100
Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:

> Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> > Ok, could you try again?
>
> The error is fixed. But now it downloads "xfce-4.2.3.2-src.tar.bz2"
> when selecting "Update Packages" from the "Actions" menu. Dunno if
> thats intentional.

Hehe, it is. You'd need a veeeery slow connection to be able to test
the "cancel" button during the time the other three 1-2 byte large files
are downloaded. Therefore, I added a large file to the list.

> A small usability issue: The progress labels are updated too often,
> which looks strange and causes too much system load (for which Pango
> is too blame, but still...).

Hmmm ... all I do is updating them after a block of data (2048 bytes)
is read. I could either read larger blocks (e.g. 8192 or 16384), which
might be bad idea because the UI would freezy on machines with a slow
modem connection, or I could only display the item name / filename and
remove the percent and kB progress text.

What do you think?

Regards,
Jannis