[Installit-dev] Download wizard problems

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Fri Mar 17 20:54:22 CET 2006

Hey Benny,

I tried to improve the responsiveness of the download wizard today.
During this, I noticed something very annoying: It is impossible to
cancel downloads. This hasn't been introduced with any version, it's
always been there!

The 'urllib' module allows for hooking into the download process.
However, it's a non-async transfer which makes it hard to avoid a
blocked user interface.

Do you have any ideas on how this could be solved perhaps? I don't know
much about threaded programming, subprocesses and glib/gobject/gtk main
loops, but perhaps you do.

Thanks in advance,
Jannis