[Installit-dev] First main window contents

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Fri Mar 17 11:45:24 CET 2006

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 01:07:32 +0100
Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:

> >>How about adding executable bit? ;-)
> >
> > Subversion tends to remove it again. But I set the svn:executable
> > flag now, this should help. I didn't knew there is something like
> > that.
>
> That's what I meant actually.

> >>How about vertical toolbar on the right side? I think the toolbar is
> >>an important UI element that should be enabled by default. Else the
> >>users will be forced to discover the important actions by looking
> >>throughs the menus first.
> >
> > I hate vertical toolbars. I can't explain why, but they always make
> > me think the user interface was randomly sticked together. But I
> > could imagine that it looks ok on the right. I'll try this out and
> > post a screenshot on installit.xfce.org tomorrow.
>
> Just an idea. The horizontal toolbar will do as well. But you'll need
> a way for users to easily discover the most important actions.

Could you have a look at
http://installit.xfce.org//wiki/user_interface? I've added a screenshot
with vertical toolbar, which looks quite nice. However, other themes
(like the Xfce 4.4 default theme) add an ugly shadow border on top and
bottom of the toolbar. Please let me know what you think about it.

Regards,
Jannis