[Installit-dev] Header file format

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Tue Sep 20 14:11:37 CEST 2005

Hey Benny,

Benedikt Meurer schrieb:
> I'd suggest a different way for the stages:
>
> <stages>
>   <configure scheme="gnu-autoconf" />
>   <build scheme="gnu-make" />
>   <install scheme="gnu-make" />
> </stages>
>
> with hooks for the different schemes (e.g. pre and post hooks):
>
> <pre-hook stage="install" scheme="gnu-autoconf">
>   <cmd>echo narf > narf</cmd>
> </pre-hook>
>
> <hook stage="install" scheme="gnu-make">
>   <cmd>${GNUMAKE} install</cmd>
> </hook>
>
> <post-hook stage="install" scheme="gnu-make">
>   <cmd>${BSDINSTALL} -c foo ${PREFIX}/etc/foo</cmd>
> </post-hook>

I think we could leave out the <cmd/> element here.

> And some of the hooks are predefined hooks, while the maintainer is
> still able to override existing hooks or introduce new hooks (well,
> hooks is probably not the best term here, how about "action",
> "pre-action" and "post-action"?).

Sounds quite good. Additionally, we should make the configure and build
stages optional since they're not needed for (most) binaries.

For DPKG (or DEB?) this would just be:

  <stages>
    <install scheme="DPKG"/>
  </stages>

  <!-- Pre-defined DPKG scheme implemented in InstallIt: -->
  <action stage="install" scheme="DPKG">
    dpkg --install ${FILE}
  </action>

Substitutions like ${GNUMAKE}, ${BSDINSTALL}, ${PREFIX} and ${FILE}
would be provided by InstallIt, then. Right?

- Jannis