[Installit-dev] TreeView/TreeModel implementation

Johannes Zellner webmaster at nebulon.de
Sun Oct 9 11:41:45 CEST 2005

Hola

>I wrote down some thoughts on the TreeModel/TreeView implementation we
>will use for InstallIt on

--- cut ---

>This means that the group Xfce 4.2. 2 and the packages thunar and
>libxfcegui4 have been enabled explicitely by the user.
>
>* If you disable the group Xfce 4.2.2 now, libxfcegui4 (which is p
>  part of it) won’t be disabled. If you enable one of the members of
>  Xfce 4.2.2 afterwards, this will only enable the group explicitely.
>  All members are enabled implicitely.

Hm my opinion is, that if a user diables/enables a group the child-items
will be disabled/enabled too.
But we should popup a dialog that reminds the User of this actions.

>* The package thunar is enabled. As it depends on libexo you can safely
>  assume that libexo is also enabled (but since it wasn’t explicitely
>  enabled it’s not in the list). Disabling thunar will disable libexo
>  for you, too. If libexo would have been enabled explicitely, it would
>  not be disabled.

Hm I think we should keep it simple and leave a bit more work on the user.
(some clicks more won't be too mad and then the user really knows what
InstallIt will do)

So we could provide a Warning-list in the main window.
Every  not solved dependency puts a warning in this list.
(a dialog-prompt instead of a new listitem will be very confusing
because you have no real overview)
So the user watch over the warnings and can decide what to do:
    * Do nothing, then InstallIt will print errors just before the
install begins and prompts if you didn't        forget to watch and
manage the list
    * Enable the missing package explicitely (until a InstallIt
packagelist won't be sooo large there's no        problem to find the
missing package)

And if a dependecy of a package is not in the packagelist, we could show
this in the list.
This reminds the user to handle this on his own.

Greets,
Johannes