[Installit-dev] "package manager " becomes "InstallIt"

Tuukka Mäkinen tukem at iki.fi
Wed Aug 24 20:41:38 CEST 2005

Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> Nicolas Masse schrieb:
>
>>On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:06:44 +0300
>>Tuukka Mäkinen <tukem at iki.fi> wrote:

>>>3. Tell plugin to check if it exists on the system
>>>3a. continue
>>>3b. Error dialog
>>

>>yes, we must not forget that :-).
>>But, perhaps would it be better to just show available package manager systems in 2.
>>(note verification can also be done to verify that the pre-selected system is always available,
>>even if the opposite is unlikely to happen)
>

> We don't need to check if the "plugin" (?) exists. We provide the user
> with a list of implementations/backends available and he chooses which
> one to use. That's all.

Doh.. of course we don't check whether the plugin exists but whether the
local system has that package manager or not. I agree Nicholas' way of
doing the checks first and then showing just available package masters
would be more user friendly. Doing the checks only when necessary would
be little faster but admittedly it shouldn't take so long to do them.

>>>2. Download sources for selected package
>>>3. Ask installation paths from plugin
>>

>>yes, with a default one pre-selected.
>

> The backend API might need something like a flag which tells us there's
> no default installation path. For RPM, DEB etc. there is (/usr) but
> maybe on other systems there isn't (source for example). If there is
> *one* we can just head on. If not, we'll have to let the user decide
> (maybe only on the first run, too).

The way I meant this was that there are get_bin_path, get_data_path,...
functions in the plugin for getting the paths. Plugin either gets the
path from system or has some hardcoded default. Then the gui would show
that path with a possibility to change it. If we would like to tell
there is no default then plugin could just return empty string.

-Tuukka