[Installit-dev] "package manager " becomes "InstallIt"

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Wed Aug 24 17:28:53 CEST 2005

Benedikt Meurer schrieb:
> Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
>
>>>Marking them is a good idea, but changing the background color is a bad
>>>idea, as it goes against the selected theme. Better add an icon to the row.
>>
>>Ah, right. Well, I already planned using icons to make the difference
>>between package types visual but once we've got icons for that we can
>>add a check mark to them or something which cannot be overseen (and of
>>course, this should be explained somewhere).
>

> Definitely, but don't override user choices by changing the background
> color of tree view rows. Personally, I'd even prefer to have only one
> row per package and if the user selects a row for which both source and
> binary packages are available, popup a dialog:
>
>   "Do you want to use binary package instead of compiling?"
>   [x] Remember my choice
>   [Yes] [No]

Personally, I don't this idea. Maybe you want to install one package
from source and another directly using a binary. I think we should
separate the different package formats/types from each other. So for
example (the layout is ugly, I know ...):

  | source-icon | Terminal 0.3.5      |
  | rpm-icon    | Terminal 0.3.5      |